[aur-general] AUR is doubling required by packages

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Tue Feb 28 04:04:49 EST 2012

Am Mon, 27 Feb 2012 20:07:22 -0500
schrieb member graysky <graysky at archlinux.us>:

> Browse to: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=50911
>
> Here is what I show for required by package... why are some of these
> doubled?  Required by broadcom-wl-ck broadcom-wl-ck lirc-ck lirc-ck
> nvidia-275xx-ck nvidia-275xx-ck nvidia-beta-ck nvidia-ck nvidia-ck
> r8168-ck r8168-ck vhba-module-ck vhba-module-ck

This is because someone has again uploaded a split package to AUR with
this dirty workaround which was posted once by somebody here on the
mailing lists or the forums even if AUR and the AUR wrappers like
yaourt still don't support split packages.

pkgname=linux-ck
true && pkgname=(linux-ck linux-ck-headers)

Every subpackage has the same dependencies. So AUR lists all of the
twice.

My suggestion is to either build support for split packages officially
into AUR or to patch AUR so that it can detect this dirty workaround
and to fully decline split packages.

There are other such split packages in AUR which make a lot of
problems particularly if such an AUR wrapper is used, because the
subpackages can't be recognized and dependencies can't be solved.

See also the worst package I've ever seen in this regard and my comments
there:
indicator-messages (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=32052)
and its dependencies

Heiko