[aur-general] creating versioned packages from github

Alper Kanat tunix at raptiye.org
Fri Jan 20 04:22:42 EST 2012

Hey There,

I want to package django-grappelli (version: 2.3.5) from github. I know
that usually we clone the repository and therefore have the latest commit
of the project for VCS PKGBUILD's. However in this case, I want to package
the latest stable version. So I wrote;

# Maintainer: Alper KANAT <alperkanat at raptiye.org>

pkgname=django-grappelli

pkgver=2.3.5

pkgrel=1

pkgdesc="A jazzy skin for the Django Admin-Interface"

url="https://github.com/sehmaschine/django-grappelli"

arch=('any')

license=('GPL2')

makedepends=("git" "python2" "python2-distribute")

conflicts=()

provides=()

source=(https://github.com/sehmaschine/django-grappelli/tarball/2.3.5)

md5sums=('36291a468ea10d50b33d782413cd436c')

build() {

    cd ${srcdir}

}

For test purposes, I tried to build this PKGBUILD. The tarball is
downloaded with the name 2.3.5 and successfully extracted into src/ folder
but with a commit id (which makes it kind of random):

$ ll src/
toplam 4
lrwxrwxrwx 1 tunix users   52 Oca 20 10:59 2.3.5 ->
/home/tunix/packages/alps/django-grappelli-git/2.3.5
drwxr-xr-x 4 tunix users 4096 Eki 11 11:07
sehmaschine-django-grappelli-ea9441b

So unless I do some bash magic like cd
$srcdir/sehmaschine-django-grappelli-*, I won't be able to continue to
build this package. What I wonder is if there are convenient ways to:

   - Download a tarball with a predefined name (in short: rename the output
   tarball)
   - Extract to predefined folder

that we can specify in PKGBUILD? I read the man pages of PKGBUILD and
makepkg and couldn't find such an information.

---
Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?