[aur-general] KDE Package Guidelines (aka AUR plasmoids mess)

Andrea Scarpino andrea at archlinux.org
Sun Jul 15 05:01:35 EDT 2012

Hi all,
I just received a mail where the user ask me to rename a plasmoid package in
He suggests to rename it as kdeplasma-addons-applets-$plasmoidname, but this
is obviously wrong as kdeplasma-addons is the name of the *official* KDE
If we would rename all our packages in that way, will be really difficult, for
both users and maintainer, to understand if we are talking about an official kde
plasmoid or not.

So, I thought about two naming conventions:
* kdeplasma-applets-$plasmoidname
* plasma-applets-$plasmoidname

Sincerely, I prefer the first one as all kde packages start with the kde prefix.

I also wrote a simple KDE package guidelines page[1] taking this opportunity.
Any suggestion is much appreciated.

The absence of this naming convention created many duplicates on AUR, so let's
start the AUR plasmoid cleanup!

[1] https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/KDE_Package_Guidelines