[aur-general] Idea for AUR improvement

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Fri Jun 1 19:04:07 EDT 2012

Am Fri, 1 Jun 2012 20:42:47 +0000
schrieb Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca>:

> Um, I don't think you understood his idea,

I think I did understand his idea.

> but at least it didn't
> stop you from replying with your usual abrasive tone.

Am I not allowed to answer, particularly if I think the idea is
pointless? And, no, it is not an abrasive tone. Those are just facts.
And I had the impression that Marcin didn't think about the reasons why
a package is usually (in most cases) orphaned.

It's peculiar that people get personally if they don't share an opinion.

> Simplified version:
> User Foo maintains x packages in AUR
> Foo decides to leave Arch for another distro
> Foo orphans his packages because he does not expect to be able to
> maintain them Foo later realizes how much better Arch is and returns
> to Arch as a prodigal son Foo is now ready to resume maintenance of
> his old packages *if necessary* Foo sees that y packages have been
> adopted and Foo is happy Foo would like to easily re-adopt the (x-y)
> packages that are still orphans

I already understood this. This doesn't change anything. Still no reason
for an automation. In those very rare cases I guess the previous
maintainer still knows which packages he had maintained, and wants to
continue maintaining. So he already can easily search for and adopt
those packages.

Btw., I read at least one comment in the AUR in which the old
maintainer asked to be removed from the #Contributor flag in the
PKGBUILD. So I think that not everybody would be happy with such a
previous maintainer field in the AUR.

Heiko