[aur-general] TU Application - György Balló

Ionut Biru ibiru at archlinux.org
Thu Mar 1 14:46:41 EST 2012

On 03/01/2012 09:29 PM, Heiko Baums wrote:
> Am Thu, 01 Mar 2012 19:00:52 +0100
> schrieb Balló György <ballogyor at gmail.com>:
>
>> I currently have 150 packages in AUR with a total of 5775 votes. I
>> already maintain more than 200 packages as source packages on
>> github[4] and as built i686 packages in my [ayatana] repo[5]. I don't
>> want to move all of these packages to [community], only the popular
>> ones. I always try to make the best packages and I hate poorly
>> written PKGBUILDs.
>
> I have just some concerns regarding the quality of your PKGBUILDs as
> you know.
>
> You have a lot of split packages with this very dirty workaround
>
> pkgname=package
> true && pkgname=(subpackage1 subpackage2 subpackage3)
>
> uploaded to AUR, even if AUR and the AUR wrappers like yaourt don't
> support split packages.
>
> And some of your packages depend on subpackages of those split
> packages, which is the reason that all those packages can't be
> installed at least not with the AUR wrappers because they can't find
> those subpackages on AUR.
>
> And there are such very weird dependencies in some of your PKGBUILD like
>
> depends=('libindicator>=0.3.19' 'libindicate>=0.4.90'
> 'libdbusmenu>=0.3.94' 'telepathy-glib>=0.9.0')
> true && depends=('libindicator3>=0.3.19' 'libindicate>=0.4.90'
> 'libdbusmenu-gtk3>=0.3.94' 'telepathy-glib>=0.9.0')
>
> which totally doesn't make sense and again causes problems.
>
> See e.g. these packages and their dependencies:
> indicator-messages (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=32052)
> libdbusmenu (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=32050)
>
> And your package naming is at least sometimes inconsistent like this
> one:
> indicator-messages-gtk2
> (https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=54556)
>
> This implies that it's built against GTK2 and that the GTK2 and only
> the GTK2 version is installed. In fact this package installs the GTK2
> version and the GTK3 version by having indicator-messages, which builds
> and installs the GTK3 version, unnecessarily as a dependency.
>
> I'm not a TU, but I would expect a much better packaging quality from
> a user whom I can trust instead of such a mess.

Most GTK2 GTK3 ports are hard to be supported in AUR since most of the
time it depends on what packages a user has installed on his system and
may be picked different because almost 99% of our users do not compile
in clean chroots.

> The package indicator-messages as it is now definitely can't be
> installed by yaourt and most likely (I haven't tested this, yet) not
> even by makepkg.
>
> And I'm absolutely not able to relate to your arguments for this.
>
> Btw., how do you want to be a TU and do this work if you tell me that
> you're maintaining so many packages that you have no time to write and
> maintain single packages instead of those split packages on AUR which
> are officially supported by AUR and would easily be installable by the
> AUR wrappers?

Having support for that is hard because AUR needs to understand split
packages and return them using json interface

I don't recall AUR having support for those and that's why he needs to
add workarounds.

--
Ionuț