[aur-general] TU Application - György Balló

Heiko Baums lists at baums-on-web.de
Thu Mar 1 18:37:43 EST 2012

Am Thu, 01 Mar 2012 23:10:11 +0000
schrieb Peter Lewis <plewis at aur.archlinux.org>:

> On Thursday 01 Mar 2012 23:35:16 Heiko Baums wrote:
> > 4. AUR is meant for providing PKGBUILDs for other users, so that
> > they don't need to do the same work again (writing the PKGBUILDs).
> > Since e.g. indicator-messages can't be installed by other users -
> > at least not with yaourt
>
> Sounds like you should file a bug against yaourt.

Why would I? Split packages are not supported by the AUR why would an
AUR wrapper support those dirty workarounds? I don't see a bug in
yaourt, I just see a PKGBUILD which doesn't apply to the official
policies. Or it's a bug (missing feature) in AUR. If those PKGBUILDs
would apply to the official policies those workarounds wouldn't be
necessary anyway.

Nevertheless as long as AUR doesn't support split packages they should
be avoided in AUR.

> I didn't think that anything about the AUR was officially supported.

The official support you mean is somewhat different. The support you
mean is that the devs don't care about packages in AUR and don't
support them, so that they can't be blamed for an AUR package not
running correctly with packages from the official repos. That doesn't
mean that the AUR is just a wastebin.

But on the AUR homepage you can read this:
"Contributed PKGBUILDs must conform to the Arch Packaging Standards
otherwise they will be deleted!"

Since AUR doesn't support split packages, package splitting has to
be treated as an exception in AUR if it belongs to the Arch Packaging
Standards. And even two different depends arrays don't belong to those
Packaging Standards. One depends array in a PKGBUILD is totally
sufficient. There's no depends array for AUR and a different one for
pacman.

Nevertheless, a TU (keep in mind, Trusted User) should be able to write
clean packages which can be installed by everyone and which have a
certain level of quality whether they are officially supported by the
devs or not.

Heiko