[aur-general] TU Application - Ike Devolder

Thomas Bächler thomas at archlinux.org
Fri Mar 2 07:03:47 EST 2012

Am 01.03.2012 15:31, schrieb Peter Lewis:
> On Thursday 01 Mar 2012 07:51:47 Stéphane Gaudreault wrote:
>>> This is a bit picky of me, but technically the sponsor is supposed to be a
>>> TU and as far as I can tell Stéphane is a dev rather than a TU...
>>
>> So ... Following this logic I have the power to break everything on your
>> system ... but not to sponsor a future member of our trusted users team
>> ? (Just kidding :D ).
>
> Heh, quite. I didn't claim to have logic on my side, I was just highlighting
> what our byelaws currently say.
>
> I said it was picky, but if we're happy for Devs to sponsor TU-ship, then we
> should just change the rules. I didn't want to create a big discussion out of
> this (unless of course people do disagree with devs being sponsors), so if
> there aren't any reasons contra, I'll put in a proposal to amend the byelaws.
> I guess this came from an original idea that the group of TUs are self-
> governing, independently of the developers.

I always highlight that the Arch core developers usually don't interfere
with the affairs of the TU group. In that sense, the bylaws make sense
by saying you need to TU to sponsor him. However, the important part
(voting) is done by TUs only. Personally, I always considered the
"sponsor" requirement an unnecessary formality anyway.