[aur-general] TU Application - Ike Devolder

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sun Mar 4 12:48:42 EST 2012

Thomas Dziedzic wrote:

> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 10:47 AM, Thomas Dziedzic <gostrc at gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Hi Xyne,
> >>
> >> In general i find it a mishap building in folders containing spaces.
> >>
> >> but because it will give a failure here i'm currently updating all my
> >> PKGBUILDs to use the correct quoting, i'm also removing the unneeded ${}
> >>
> >> thx for the note. In the end it is better practice
> >>
> >> --
> >> Ike
> >>

> > IMO, this is all just coding style that doesn't really affect any or 1
> > or 2 people in the whole distro that are insane enough to build with
> > directory names with spaces in them..
> >
> > Since it is coding style, I never judge anyone by it, but ideally
> > would like it closely resembling mine :P
> >
> > I personally hate quoting in pkgbuilds and prefer ${variables} as I
> > find this more readable although I sometimes deviate from this.
>
> Oops, I'm only talking about ${pkgdir}/${srcdir} in here, wasn't specific enough

There may not be many users who have paths with spaces in them, but they are
perfectly valid. It is very bad practice to write code that fails in valid
situations simply because the coder likes the way the code looks, and it is not
a matter of coding style if it affects the code's behavior.

As for Bash variables. there seems to be some common misconception that curly
brackets do something special. They don't. They only provide a way to separate
variables from surrounding text (e.g. ${foo}bar). Including them as a rule
doesn't hurt and it provides consistency, but syntactically they are completely
superfluous in most situations.

Anyway, this isn't a major issue. I just think the argument "but I don't like
the way the valid code looks" is a very bad and lazy one.

Regards,
Xyne