[aur-general] TU Application - Ike Devolder

Thomas Dziedzic gostrc at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 13:53:10 EST 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 11:48 AM, Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
> Thomas Dziedzic wrote:

>> > IMO, this is all just coding style that doesn't really affect any or 1
>> > or 2 people in the whole distro that are insane enough to build with
>> > directory names with spaces in them..
>> >
>> > Since it is coding style, I never judge anyone by it, but ideally
>> > would like it closely resembling mine :P
>> >
>> > I personally hate quoting in pkgbuilds and prefer ${variables} as I
>> > find this more readable although I sometimes deviate from this.
>>
>> Oops, I'm only talking about ${pkgdir}/${srcdir} in here, wasn't specific enough
>
> There may not be many users who have paths with spaces in them, but they are
> perfectly valid. It is very bad practice to write code that fails in valid
> situations simply because the coder likes the way the code looks, and it is not
> a matter of coding style if it affects the code's behavior.

In all my years of packaging, never has this been an issue.

> As for Bash variables. there seems to be some common misconception that curly
> brackets do something special. They don't. They only provide a way to separate
> variables from surrounding text (e.g. ${foo}bar). Including them as a rule
> doesn't hurt and it provides consistency, but syntactically they are completely
> superfluous in most situations.

What lead you to believe there is a misconception?
Unless this isn't a reply to my previous post then disregard this question.

> Anyway, this isn't a major issue. I just think the argument "but I don't like
> the way the valid code looks" is a very bad and lazy one.
>
> Regards,
> Xyne

Nobody really cares.
Here's a test, try building all of [core] within a directory with a space in it.
Here's a hint, you wont be able to.

Unless you're going to tackle the main issue (which deserves another
thread), I recommend to stop beating this dead horse.

* no horses were harmed in the making of this post.