[aur-general] Request for Oracle package merges

Adam Nielsen a.nielsen at shikadi.net
Wed Mar 21 00:41:26 EDT 2012

Hi all,

This morning with the cooperation of the previous maintainer, I have
adopted the out of date Oracle Instant Client packages on AUR.

I would like to change the package names however, as I believe
"instantclient" is not descriptive enough.  I would like to change this
to "oracle-instantclient".

I have gone ahead and uploaded new/updated packages to the AUR with
these new names, so I would like to request the old packages be merged
into the new ones.

Would someone please be able to assist me with this merge?  The new
packages all start with "oracle-".  Here is a list of all the old ones:

instantclient-basic
   New version: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=57813

instantclient-jdbc
   New version: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=57817

instantclient-odbc
   New version: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=57816

instantclient-sdk
   New version: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=57814

instantclient-sqlplus
   New version: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=57815

I would also like to request the instantclient-basiclite package be
deleted, as it is identical to instantclient-basic but only contains
messages in English (the translations have been removed), so I don't
think it is necessary to maintain separately:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?ID=16706  Anyone currently using
the basiclite package can switch to oracle-instantclient-basic with no
loss in functionality.

I have included some shell code in the new PKGBUILDs to help alert
people to the fact that the package data files need to be downloaded
separately (directly from Oracle) as they cannot be downloaded
automatically.  I would appreciate any feedback on whether the way I
have done this is acceptable.  It doesn't seem to have caused any issues
with AUR.

Please let me know if you need any additional information or if there is
something I have missed.

Many thanks,
Adam.