[aur-general] Removal request: google-chrome-mini

郑文辉(Techlive Zheng) techlivezheng at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 20:59:10 EDT 2012

2012/3/27 Tai-Lin Chu <tailinchu at gmail.com>:
> @Alexander Rødseth
> that's "how it should work", but unfortunately none of these work well
> in reality. my reason of cloning is that "the time when these packages
> will update or fit your need is known". god knows when these packages
> will update; it could be weeks or months(or never). i either have to
> keep my own version of pkgbuild or change the pkgbuild every time i
> install. that's not efficient.
>
> @Det
> 1. i dont think my pkgbuild has any wrong dependency. i am really
> concerned about dependency, and carefully checked chromium build
> script.
>
> 2. i want to have "no-gconf" explicitly. many users are not aware that
> they have to install no-gconf first, then install chrome.
>
> 3. as i said, aur is meant to a mess if you want it to be actually
> useful. if your logic applies, then we should remove all "mplayer-*",
> "vlc-*" ..., because we already have mplayer, vlc in [extra]. these
> "families" of packages are just adding or removing some flags and
> dependencies(some are even incorrect). having "mutations" gives
> convenience for users. users dont care about mess really; they care
> about time as they dont want to manually edit pkgbuild.
No, no, I do care the the mess of the AUR.Sometimes to choose between
several similar packages is a pain, you have to download all of them
and enven compile them to know it.But if there is only one, even if it
was broken, then you can download it, trying to fix it, then post your
fix to the comments to let the maintainer and other users know. If the
maintainer does not response and then you really care about the
package, then you can request here to adopt it after two weeks instead
of create you own version in AUR with a different name.This is the How
Arch Linux Communnity works and how it grows to today.Even if you just
care about your own need, you can maintain you own PKGBUILD repo,
please do not pollute the public.The AUR is not to be messed.Think
about it, you create a duplicated package, you get satisfied with it,
but after a while, someone got come up and clean up you mess again
like this time.

Arch Linux is not a linux distro mean to keep the user lazy and
foolish, the user need to get familiar with the pain the AUR PKGBUILD
bring, and learn it fix it, this is a growing up process.Making AUR
mess with lots of duplicated packages could not save the users time if
he has skills to fix something, it waste his time to make decision and
to send mail here to get duplicated deleted.

Arch Linux is created by people who want to make life simple and tidy
and clean, not this kind of AUR messy could be accepted.

Democracy is slow and no efficient, but it is the way to keep every
going longer, right?This is the thing we Chinese need to learn.