[aur-general] Removal request: fenics group packages

Myles English mylesenglish at gmail.com
Mon May 21 07:46:49 EDT 2012

>> On Fri, 18 May 2012 17:24:06 -0400, speps said:

  > On Fri, 18 May 2012 15:06:57 +0100
  > Myles English <mylesenglish at gmail.com> wrote:

  >> Please would a TU delete them and transfer the votes to the *-bzr
  >> versions that I have replaced them with.

  > Hi Myles,
  > thanks for reporting this, but probably merging here is not a good idea.

  > Your *-bzr provides a vcs version of the software.
  > Having stable releases too is not a problem.

Hi speps,

I judged that the typical person using this software would prefer to use
the vcs version.  I don't mind if the stable packages are not deleted
but don't want to confuse people and want to make it easy for them to
install the currently maintained -bzr versions.

  > You mentioned there are some issues with building the stable release of dolfin,
  > well probably someone else could take care of them and fix em.
  > Having a quick look at your pastebin (in a dolfin comment), seems like it is
  > a gcc 4.7 issue. Btw, rapidly searching I've got confirmation and found this to
  > be already reported and solved yet on the dolfin BTS [1].

  > Here is the commit patch that solves the issue [2].

The effort you have made is admired and appreciated.

  > Now, your choice. If you mind, you may re-adopt those packages by applying the
  > patch. Otherwise, just do not care about em.

I'll stick to the vcs versions just because I don't have time to
maintain two sets.  If someone does adopt the stable ones then we can
collaborate.

There is a difficulty with keeping the stable versions though; How do I
make it easy for users to build and install the set of -bzr packages,
rather than a mixture of -bzr and stable ones?

There are two issues.

1) the groups() variable is not used:

I envisioned being able to make use of the groups() variable by having
groups=('fenics-bzr') in all the -bzr PKGBUILDs and doing something
similar to:

$ pacman -S fenics-bzr
or, for stable versions:
$ pacman -S fenics

which works for packages controlled by pacman (and this is how I use it,
via local repos) but not for the AUR because the groups() thing isn't
accessible to AUR clients [fn:1].

2) the AUR client I use (cower) doesn't recognise dependencies are
satisfied on with the same action

The way things are now, in (e.g) ffc-bzr PKGBUILD there is:

depends=(... 'ufl' ...)

and in ufl-bzr :

provides=('ufl')
conflicts=('ufl')

so that if the user wants the stable versions of most of the fenics
packages but the vcs version of ufl, then they can install it and still
satisfy the dependencies.

However if I try:

$ cower -dd fiat-bzr ufc-bzr ufl-bzr ffc-bzr

it will download the stable PKGBUILDs for ufc and ufl to satisfy the
dependency in ffc-bzr, but I wanted the the -bzr versions.  I have
raised on Issue on cower's github [fn:2].

I am new to this list and maybe you have already discussed making
groups() accessible to AUR clients.  Perhaps an alternative AUR client
is better at calculating dependencies.  Am I doing it wrong?

  > [1] https://bugs.launchpad.net/dolfin/+bug/999025
  > [2] http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~dolfin-core/dolfin/trunk/diff/6663

  > Cheers

  > - speps -