[aur-general] Building a git version of a package already present in the official repositories

Muflone webreg at vbsimple.net
Sat May 26 07:44:41 EDT 2012

Il 05/26/2012 01:09 PM, Sven-Hendrik Haase wrote:
> On 05/26/2012 12:58 PM, Muflone wrote:
>> Hello
>>
>> In the AUR section of the Arch Packaging Standards guide [1] we can
>> read that a package must not build any of applications in the official
>> repositories.
> What is the problem? You may submit a strace-git package to the AUR as
> it is not merely an updated fixed version of the official package.
> However, you are strongly discouraged to post a package like strace-new
> that you made because of a new upstream release if the Arch package lags
> a few days behind.
>
> The best solution, though, would be to bug the strace author to make a
> new release in order to fix this problem for everyone. This way, you'd
> likely have a usable strace in Arch within a day.

I suppose there should be a reason for the rule to deny the building of
a binary application in conflict with a package in the official
repository until some patch was applied in order to make a slight
different application, which is not this case.

To file a bug is the best solution of course but the previous was a
general packaging question.

--
Muflone