[aur-general] Naming convention for Python 2 and 3 apps

Yichao Yu yyc1992 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 27 19:43:07 EST 2012

On Tue, Nov 27, 2012 at 2:48 PM, 小龙 陈 <chillermillerlong at hotmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Allen,
>
> I think the convention is to make two packages for software that
> support both Python 2 and 3. For example, in the extra repo, there's
>
> python-cairo and python2-cairo
> python-cchardet and python2-cchardet
> python-memcached and python2-memcached
> etc.

Well, both of them are python libraries, which cannot support both
python2 and python3 in the same binary package (OK, you can, by
including both python2 and python3 modules but that's not the
point....)

According to a previous email on the same list[1], you probably still
need to create two packages for pyton2 and python3 if you want to
support both of them (and probably rename the binary to avoid
conflict.)

[1] http://www.mail-archive.com/aur-general@archlinux.org/msg19241.html