[aur-general] Disown request: tmux-git

SanskritFritz sanskritfritz at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 03:31:58 EDT 2012

On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 5:03 PM, Dave Reisner <d at falconindy.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 04:48:11PM +0200, SanskritFritz wrote:
>> On Wed, Sep 12, 2012 at 4:01 PM, Alexander Rødseth <rodseth at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Hi,
>> >
>> > Disowned. Thanks.
>>
>> I find this a bit interesting and alarming. The OP has not shared any
>> details about any reason or about writing emails to the maintainer,
>> nevetheless you disowned the package without asking. May we know the
>> reason?
>> This process is too open if you ask me, anyone can ask here to disown
>> any package. Now there are packages in the AUR which I trust, because
>> I trust the maintainer, hence I don't check the PKGBUILD before every
>> update. A git package can be changed any time without version check,
>> but it will be compiled every day when I makepkg. So to summarise:
>> someone asks for a disown here, gives no reasons why. You orphan it,
>> anyone can adopt it immediately and change the package as he wants. I
>> update the package using cower, and trust that the maintainer has not
>> changed (I know, my mistake), so I have an altered package without my
>> knowledge. Am I missing something?
>
> I think you're hugely overreacting. The TUs do a tremendous job of
> dealing with the constant onslaught of these requests. On the whole, I
> think they do an excellent job of auditing and doing the right thing.
> It's extremely rare that there's any drama or questioning of their
> actions. If you have evidence to the contrary occurring on this list,
> please feel free to correct me.

I definitely can't correct you, I'm subscribed for long time and never
saw any problem with disown requests.

> That said, I think this is one _isolated_ case where perhaps the OP
> should have been questioned and this package not immediately disowned.

Indeed this was an isolated case.

Ok, that sounded indeed overreacting. Sorry for that. Please
understand that all I saw was: "Please disown package X" - "Done". The
moment it was disowned, anyone was free to adopt the package, I could
have done it, it was still orphan.
The thing is, I'm looking for a way to catch a maintainer change with
my installed AUR packages. This is why I'm subscribed here, and this
is why I constantly check the AUR packages whether the maintainer is
still the same or not. I'm planning to write a script to keep track of
the maintainers in the AUR packages and run it everytime I update them
to get an alarm. Is there already such a script maybe?

And finally I must join you in the praise of the TU's, I really was
not aware of the harsh tone in my answer. So, again, sorry and Thanks
TU's and Devs for your work.