[aur-general] VCS PKGBUILD and Pacman 4.1: increase epoch?

Jason St. John jstjohn at purdue.edu
Fri Apr 5 17:41:25 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 5:32 PM, Maxime Gauduin <alucryd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2013-04-05 at 22:20 +0100, WorMzy Tykashi wrote:
>> On 5 April 2013 22:19, WorMzy Tykashi <wormzy.tykashi at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Oops. Forgot my reference.
>>
>> [0]
>> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_CVS_%26_SVN_PKGBUILD_guidelines
>
> The versioning scheme is up to the maintainer, you're free to choose the
> one which makes more sense, and using the date is perfectly fine. The
> guidelines only provide examples.
> About epoch, I chose not to add one in my AUR packages. I believe it is
> an unnecessary complication, only makepkg is officially supported for
> AUR, epoch is irrelevant for such installs.
>
> Cheers.
> --
> Maxime

I agree that epoch should not be included in AUR packages just to work
around limitations in unsupported AUR helpers. If the AUR helpers
cannot properly handle these, then the AUR helpers should be fixed
rather than polluting the PKGBUILDs with workarounds. PKGBUILDs in the
AUR are frequently sloppy enough as it is. Let's not make the problem
any worse.

Jason