[aur-general] nanoc3 deletion request

Jeremy Audet ichimonji10 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 00:25:29 EDT 2013

I'm requesting the deletion of the AUR package nanoc3. [1]

The AUR currently includes two similarly-named packages: nanoc and nanoc3.
At one time, nanoc provided v2.x of the gem, and nanoc3 provided v3.x of
the gem. [2] However, nanoc has supseded nanoc3. If you look at rubygems.org,
you can see that the two development lines merged from 3.2.0 to 3.3.0.
After the release of 3.3.0, nanoc3 releases stopped, whereas nanoc releases
continued. [3][4]

Thus, nanoc3 is no longer being developed, and it has been superseded.

One last question: assuming the deletion request is approved, should the
nanoc PKGBUILD both replace() and provide() nanoc3? If I understand
correctly, the replace() would allow nanoc3 users a clean upgrade path,
whereas the provide() would allow programs that depend on nanoc3 to use
nanoc. (new package maintainer here, so still fleshing out my understanding
of things)

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ruby-nanoc3/
[2] http://nanoc.ws/wiki-old/Development_3.1_BetterGemAndExecutableNames/
[3] https://rubygems.org/gems/nanoc/versions