[aur-general] VCS PKGBUILD and Pacman 4.1: increase epoch?

Cédric Girard girard.cedric at gmail.com
Sat Apr 6 06:21:19 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 5, 2013 at 11:49 PM, Jan Alexander Steffens wrote:
> The problem is that makepkg will update the pkgver of the downloaded
> PKGBUILD, so there is no reliable way of detecting an update without either
> bumping the epoch, or storing another copy of the downloaded PKGBUILD.

Updating the epoch each time seems a little too much. epoch does not
seems to be designed for this.

What I was speaking about is increasing the epoch when switching from
one versioning scheme to another.
I have taken the decision to do it.
The reason is not about AUR helper. It is about consistency. Pacman is
not aware from where your installed packages come from. It thus does
not seem logical to generate new package version that are smaller than
the old one and pretending they provide more recent version of the
software.

--
Cédric Girard