[aur-general] nanoc3 deletion request

Xyne xyne at archlinux.ca
Sat Apr 6 17:19:09 EDT 2013

On 2013-04-06 14:22 -0400
Jeremy Audet wrote:

>> Just remember there is actually no use for replaces in the aur.  That
>directive is only useful in the regular repositories.   Provides and
>conflicts is all you actually need for a clean update.
>>
>> Replaces is used by pacman to find if there is anything in the
>repositories that replaces something else.  Like when we did all the
>renames of python packages.
>
>Thanks for the tip. I had no idea that `replaces` was only useful in the
>reular repositories. I'll add a `conflicts` directive to the ruby-nanoc
>package.

I disagree that "replaces" is not useful in the AUR. Many people create their
own repositories with AUR packages and then it is very useful. Some AUR helpers
may support "replaces" as well.

In general, PKGBUILDs uploaded to the AUR should adhere to all standards in
such a way that they could be moved into a repo without further changes.
Omitting key variables just because the AUR lacks support for them is a bad
idea in my opinion.

Regards,
Xyne