[aur-general] nanoc3 deletion request

Daniel Wallace danielwallace at gtmanfred.com
Sat Apr 6 18:31:19 EDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 06:01:44PM -0400, Daniel Wallace wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 06, 2013 at 09:19:09PM +0000, Xyne wrote:

> > >directive is only useful in the regular repositories.   Provides and
> > >conflicts is all you actually need for a clean update.

> > >repositories that replaces something else.  Like when we did all the
> > >renames of python packages.
> > >
> > >Thanks for the tip. I had no idea that `replaces` was only useful in the
> > >reular repositories. I'll add a `conflicts` directive to the ruby-nanoc
> > >package.
> >

> > I disagree that "replaces" is not useful in the AUR. Many people create their
> > own repositories with AUR packages and then it is very useful. Some AUR helpers
> > may support "replaces" as well.
>
> Why would you ever build a repository from straight aur packages.  I
> don't know about you, but there is no one I trust enough to just build
> with there PKGBUILD for my repository.  I keep a nice list of PKGBUILDs
> and build from those as I also maintain them.
>

> > In general, PKGBUILDs uploaded to the AUR should adhere to all standards in
> > such a way that they could be moved into a repo without further changes.
>
> Except if we look at the guidelines for submitting to the AUR. There is
> a nice note that they should never use replaces.
>
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Arch_Packaging_Standards#Submitting_packages_to_the_AUR
>
> #6, you can't miss it.

Scratch that, I miss interpreted what it was saying, but that section
should really be rewritten. It really shouldn't be talking about pacman
-S because that is not something that really matters in the AUR.

But to the point that started this, you do not need replaces to do a
clean update between the 2 packages for the rename, you only need
conflicts (if there is something being built against it, you may need
provides, or to just rebuild the other package once the first has been
updated.)