[aur-general] Make AUR notifier messages more visible

canyonknight canyonknight at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 19:00:50 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 4:47 PM, Allen Li <cyberdupo56 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 09:08:52AM -0700, Anatol Pomozov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> On Mon, Apr 15, 2013 at 8:50 AM, Chris “Kwpolska” Warrick
>> >
>> > Just do a goddamn filter in Gmail.
>>
>> Yes I am aware of filters (I worked in Gmail UI team btw). I already
>> have 300+ filters and I hate to add more, especially for one-time
>> notifications.
>>
>> Forcing everyone to create a filter for aur notifications sounds wrong
>> to me. Most people just will not do this. And I think "invisible"
>> message by default + people's laziness to create filters is the reason
>> why it is more difficult to get a package maintainer response via
>> comments rather than via personal email.
>>
>> Most web sites (such as forums) known to me send notifications "to:"
>> user exactly for this reason - make these messages visible by default.
>
> I personally don't have any objections either way, but is there a reason
> *not* to send notifications directly to the user?  Sure, there are ways
> around it (filters for Gmail) , but why make it an issue in the first
> place?

AUR notifications are sent as a single e-mail to all subscribed users
to avoid having to send each and every subscriber a separate e-mail.
They are sent as a BCC to avoid having every subscribed user e-mail
address in the "To" field. I believe the Arch bugtracker works the
same way, so it's not something completely unique to the AUR.