[aur-general] Failure to boot after update yesterday evening (CET)

Tomasz Kowalski kowatomasz at gmail.com
Tue Apr 23 01:40:06 EDT 2013

I have the same problem. All I can say at the moment is that
slim+fvwm work for me as a stop-gap solution. I suspect the problem has
to do with infinality (or with fonts, at any rate), but I can't be any
more specific. Anyway, here's what "worked for me":
(1) During the boot sequence, before gdm hangs, switch to a tty<#n> via
ctrl-alt-F<#n>
(2) Login as root
(3) Disable gdm (#> systemctl disable gdm.service)
(4) Enable slim (#> systemctl enable slim.service)
(5) In ~/.xinitrc replace "exec gnome-session" with "exec fvwm"

There are a few obvious alternatives available, such as booting from
another media, mounting the filesystem and then doing (3) - (5)
manually, possibly with different login/window managers.

Cheers,

T.