[aur-general] ttf-google-webfonts{,-distilled,-git,-hg} mess

David J. Haines djhaines at gmx.com
Thu Apr 25 09:24:52 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:32:36PM -0400, Daniel Micay wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 24, 2013 at 10:28 PM, Jason St. John <jstjohn at purdue.edu> wrote:

> >> Okay, the only remaining webfonts packages in AUR are now
> >> ttf-google-webfonts-git and ttf-google-webfonts-hg.
> >>
> >> Cheers.
> >> --
> >> Maxime
> >
> > I noticed that a new package named ttf-google-webfonts-tarball [1] was
> > uploaded yesterday.
> >
> > The submitter of the package states, "This is for all those who use
> > simple AUR helpers, e.g. cower, that need a version number to know
> > that there's been an update and/or those who don't like the git/hg
> > repos just hanging around on their systems (i.e. those who delete
> > their AUR sources and packages)."
> >
> > Do the TUs feel that this package is necessary? It suffers from the
> > same problem of frequent and endless maintenance that
> > ttf-google-webfonts did that I mentioned in my first email in this
> > thread.
> >
> > [1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/ttf-google-webfonts-tarball/
> >
> > Jason
>
> I don't feel like this is at all necessary. The AUR helper part is
> definitely a non-issue because bumping the pkgver on a VCS package
> with a proper pkgver function works just fine.

I created it for those of us who need it. If you use yaourt (which many
a TU would attempt to dissuade you from doing), it may work, but for
others of us, it does not. No one's asking you to use it, but it should
be an option, IMHO.

As to the "AUR helper part [being] definitely a non-issue," that's
demonstrably wrong. Either ttf-google-webfonts-git's PKGBUILD suffers
from a lack of "a proper pkgver function," or something more than such a
function is required for certain AUR helpers to recognize that an update
is needed, as the April 14 updates to the repo were not enough for cower
to pick up on the new version. A review of the source code makes it
clear that at least certain AUR helpers will not be able to handle the
pkgver function route as currently implemented.

--
David J. Haines
djhaines at gmx.com