[aur-general] ttf-google-webfonts{,-distilled,-git,-hg} mess

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Thu Apr 25 12:35:05 EDT 2013

On 25 April 2013 17:15, Maxime GAUDUIN <alucryd at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 5:31 PM, David J. Haines <djhaines at gmx.com> wrote:
>> On Thu, Apr 25, 2013 at 11:17:36AM -0400, Jonathan Arnold wrote:

>> > As it is for all -git (and -svn and -hg, etc) packages. As it should
>> > be, IMHO.
>> >

>> Thus the utility of the -tarball PKGBUILD: users don't have to track it;
>> they can rely on the maintainer.

> Such a thing is only true when using AUR helpers, which, again, are not
> supported. Even as a helper user, I don't think the -tarball package is
> needed.

As user of AUR, I agree.
I'm slowly getting sick of the AUR mess and spread of duplicate packages
motivated by some narrow corner cases and customisation.
Either makepkg and PKGBUILD is enhanced to properly support the development
kind of packages, namely *-{git|hg|svn} and perform actual update of
local copy of sources
(even if PKGBUILD has not been updated)
or users have to accept the fact they play with cutting-edge version of software
so they take care of updates it on their own.

Stop AUR insanity!

Best regards,