[aur-general] xdg-autostart files in package

alexander.r at gmx.com alexander.r at gmx.com
Fri Apr 26 23:26:50 EDT 2013

On Fri, Apr 26, 2013 at 03:55:28PM -0600, Brian F. G. Bidulock wrote:
> Christoph,
>
> On Fri, 26 Apr 2013, Christoph Vigano wrote:
>
> > Do we have any recommendations for this? Should I remove it or leave it
> > to the user to deactivate the autostarting of nagstamon by removing the
> > corresponding .desktop file?
> >

> Per XDG specifications, it is not necessary to remove the file
> in /etc/xdg/autostart to deactivate .desktop files resident
> there: the user need only place a .desktop file with the same
> name in $HOME/.config/autostart with the attribute Hidden=true
> and any XDG compliant autostart mechanism will ignore that file.
---end quoted text---

Great. In my opinion, if autostart is not critical for package, maintainer
should just set Hidden=true in his package's .desktop file. If user insists
on enabling autostart, he can copy that file to $XDG_CONFIG_HOME/autostart
(as per specification [1] "only the Hidden key in the most important .desktop file
must be considered"). Tools are happy.

[1]: http://standards.freedesktop.org/autostart-spec/autostart-spec-latest.html#id2695932

--
My AUR packages - https://aur.archlinux.org/packages.php?SeB=m&K=AlexanderR