[aur-general] TUs and their following of the Bylaws

Angel Velásquez angvp at archlinux.org
Fri Aug 2 14:40:53 EDT 2013

Hi people,

First of all, i'm writting this mail as an ex TU and user, not as a dev
who want to push you how to proceed or follow the bylaws.

Having that set, I am shocked about how the bylaws are being just used
just for addition process, but for somehow are being ignored for stuff
like quorum and removal procedures, some TUs look to otherside when we
mention this subject.

So, what's the point of having a Bylaw if you will not follow it?, why
don't modify it and remove that part that you don't want to be aware?,
being a TU is not about just delivering packages and orphaning /
splitting packages on the AUR, TUs must work as a group, and it used to
be like that when I was part of the team (I still feel part of the team
but seems that oficially I am not a TU, a corner case that is not well
documented on the Bylaws btw).

So, according to that, I don't want to say names (i did said those names
on the irc channel when I found the quorum situation on the last SVP but
as I've said nobody react .. bad bad bad, guys.. dissapointing I must
say), but I still feel that TUs must do that, not a guy which is not
completely a TU -yes, me-.

Please check the last SVP and check who didn't voted, and some TU call
the rest of the group for either following the Bylaws, or call for a
modification of these Bylaws and allow these cases.

In my opinion, (now as a dev) we don't want to control what you do,
because we as a user and devs trust a group of people that have their
own defined rules, but if the TUs won't start following these rules, is
simply stupid to have these rules there.

Please don't kill the messenger, this is nothing personal against anyone
or the group, I really appreciate most of the people who contribute to
the Arch Linux project and I am grateful as an user for that.

Let this discussion begin.

--
Angel Velasquez
Arch Linux Developer