[aur-general] TUs and their following of the Bylaws

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Mon Aug 5 11:11:22 EDT 2013

On 5 August 2013 07:00, Lukas Fleischer <archlinux at cryptocrack.de> wrote:
> I don't really like the idea of having to specify an exact end date. If
> you are inactive due to, say, a long hospital stay or a lack of an
> internet connection after moving you will have to update the end date
> continuously. Being inactive usually means that you're offline most of
> the time so this might turn out to be a real burden.

Yes, having to set specific dates is not practical at all. I was more
concerned about doing away with e-mail, but I suppose it can remain a
necessary manual step. So, the procedure would be as follows:

1. Send an e-mail to the list to declare inactivity
2. Mark yourself as inactive in the AUR web interface

If we enforce this, then the bylaws need no amendment. In this case,
(2) simply becomes a more convenient way to record inactivity
(compared to, say, editing a wiki page).

> Another suggestion: Count every TU that is active during the voting
> period (no matter when, no matter how long). That is pretty simple to
> implement: Store all active TUs when a vote starts, add a TU to that
> list (for all running votes) whenever he becomes active.

Fair enough. I don't think we need to care about those who mark
themselves inactive during a vote -- they will simply have to remember
to vote before changing their status or be treated as a defaulter
(active but did not vote).

This may require changing the bylaws. Even at present, given that a
status can be changed any time, counting at the end of the vote would
theoretically disqualify those who were active at the start, voted,
and then marked themselves inactive.

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1