[aur-general] Deletion request: virtinst-current

Jason St. John jstjohn at purdue.edu
Wed Dec 4 22:12:22 EST 2013

This is an extension of the rename request for virtinst-current -->
virtinst[1]. Based on some further research by djpohly, it was
discovered that virt-manager-0.10.0-1 began providing virt-install[2].

djpohly offered that it might be useful to keep virtinst around
because of all the dependencies that virt-manager pulls in. I thought
about this for a bit and posted the following comment on the
virtinst-current AUR page:

"Are there many cases where virt-install would be needed without all
of the extra dependencies on, e.g., some of the graphical
tools/utilities? Just headless VM servers? virt-manager also installs
the programs virt-clone, virt-convert, and virt-image, which seem
quite useful even on headless VM servers.

Unless virt-manager gets split into GUI and non-GUI packages, I don't
see the value in keeping [the virtinst-current] package around. And
even if [virt-manager] does get split into GUI and non-GUI packages,
the non-GUI package would include virt-install anyway. So either way,
I think this package can be safely deleted."

As such, I am requesting that virtinst-current[3] be deleted.

[1] https://mailman.archlinux.org/pipermail/aur-general/2013-December/026311.html
[2] https://projects.archlinux.org/svntogit/community.git/commit/trunk?h=packages/virt-manager&id=5493fd016372532c5e90556e6ad5399b7e625a84
[3] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/virtinst-current/

Thanks,