[aur-general] Changes in Arch packaging standards

Jerome Leclanche adys.wh at gmail.com
Fri Dec 6 05:22:35 EST 2013

On Fri, Dec 6, 2013 at 9:59 AM, Sven-Hendrik Haase <sh at lutzhaase.com> wrote:
> On 06.12.2013 10:45, Sergej Pupykin wrote:
>> At Fri, 06 Dec 2013 09:42:11 +0001,
>> Maxime Gauduin <alucryd at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> I would change that rule a bit, because wxgtk is a special case. The
>>> 2.9 branch is a devel branch, keeping wxgtk for the stable branch and
>>> adding a suffix for the devel branch makes sense. Speaking of wxgtk,
>>> now that 3.0.0 is out, we will most likely need to get rid of wxgtk29
>>> and create a legacy wxgtk28 package.
>>>
>>> Anyway, imho the rule should be: use plain name for the latest stable
>>> release, and add the appropriate suffix (usually 1 or 2 digits) for any
>>> other release.
>> I prefer leave all things as is without any new rules. There are
>> packages that have multiple stable branches.
>
> I went ahead and proposed a new rule because I also think this should be
> in the guidelines:
> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Arch_Packaging_Standards#Package_naming
>
> Comments?
> <https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Talk:Arch_Packaging_Standards#Package_naming>

Sensitive topic: Why doesn't arch support multiple versions for the
same packages?
Whenever it's brought up, there's always the answer that Arch is a
rolling release (and we're all happy with that). But pretty obviously
there are cases where multiple versions are useful and needed. It
strikes me that all of this would be a non-issue if maintainers were
able to make a certain set of versions available for packages, and
users were able to install multiple versions of the same package.
(Incidentally it would also make rollbacks easier if the previous
package is kept for a couple of days and solve a common complaint
against Arch).

If the only issue is manpower I'm more than happy to work on it and
send patches.
(Ok there's some personal reasons I'd like this; I discussed with the
developers of a couple of domain-specific packaging apps about
compatibility with pacman and this is one of the major roadblocks... a
debate for another day)

J. Leclanche