[aur-general] deletion request

David Adler david.jo.adler at gmail.com
Sat Feb 23 17:50:11 EST 2013

On Sat, Feb 23, 2013 at 10:40 PM, Johannes Löthberg
<kyrias at archlinux.info> wrote:
> On 02/23/2013 10:28 PM, atilla ontas wrote:
>>
>> If i get it right, you want to create directories and copy files. Then why
>> not use "install" command?
>> Like;
>>
>> install -d -m 755 $srcdir/foo-version/src/foo.so
>> $pkgdir/usr/lib/foo/foo.so
>>

>> 2013/2/23 David Adler <david.jo.adler at gmail.com>
>>>

>>> Just copying. As simple as it sounds, I didn't find a simple solution,
>>> but it's not unlikely that I'm missing the obvious.
>>>
>>> regards
>>>

> My thoughts exactly.

That would be >400 install invocations for >400 files&dirs?

For a similar case, Stackoverflow comes up with solutions
involving autotools[1], though I think that would not be
worth the effort.

For users it is about as simple to download the preset and
extract the tarball as it is to first install it and then recursively
copy a directory from /usr/share.
They'll need the preset in a writable location anyway.

Unless there is a really simple one-liner, I don't feel inclined
to make that preset an installable tarball again.

>From what I read, recursively installing directory trees in
a "don't look and just install everything"-manner is not
recommended anyway, and all non-recursive sulutions
seem to involve some effort to adapt the build system
every time the directory tree changes.

[1] http://stackoverflow.com/questions/6395148/install-data-directory-tree-with-massive-number-of-files-using-automake

best regards
 -d