[aur-general] Software packaging - Security question

Nuno Araujo nuno.araujo at russo79.com
Thu Jan 10 08:49:22 EST 2013

On 10. 01. 13 12:25, Lukas Jirkovsky wrote:

> I think UnionFs can be used for this. I never actually tried it, but
> it should allow you to mount the data directory read only and then
> mount a RW directory from $HOME on top of, so all changes will be
> stored in the home directory.

Thanks Lukas!
I just tried it (manually, not yet packaged? and it works perfectly! :-)
It bothers me to have to add a dependency on an fully unrelated package,
but I think this is cleaner and safer than my previous solution.

The only concern that I have with this approach, it's when the package
gets upgraded.
subvein seems to update some of it's own packaged files (at least
translation files) when running.
If suddenly, there is a new version of the modified files when
upgrading, they won't be taken into account, since the priority will be
given to those in the user $HOME.

Well, I can display a warning message when upgrading the package, so
that the user removes the files in it's $HOME folder.

After all, this is Arch Linux, a distribution who targets and
accommodates competent GNU/Linux users by giving them complete control
and responsibility over the system. :-)

Thank you for your help everyone!

--
Nuno Araujo <nuno.araujo at russo79.com>