[aur-general] NVIDIA drivers

Maxime Gauduin alucryd at gmail.com
Thu Jan 24 17:34:52 EST 2013

Hi all,

As you may know, the NVIDIA drivers are split across a multitude of
packages. While it is of no consequence when using the ones in the repo, it
becomes a bit more of a problem when building packages from the AUR. I for
example have to install nvidia-utils-beta, lib32-nvidia-utils-beta,
nvidia-source-beta and nvidia-hook (mkinitcpio hook using dkms) to get all
the required files. That means downloading the x86_64 blob 2 times and the
i686 one 1 time (I'm using a dkms version to not download them one more
time for each of my kernels). Moreover, all those packages have hard
dependencies on version numbers, making AUR helpers quite helpless when
there is an update (sure you could download all tarballs and have a
centralized sources folder, build all packages, and then installing all at
the same time, but keeping up to date would become very time consuming).
I heard a nvidia-total-beta package was uploaded not long ago but swiftly
deleted by gtmanfred who thought it was not needed. I don't mean to
criticize, but I do think it would be of use to quite a lot of people. I'm
using the catalyst-total on my laptop and I love it, having all in one
place is good for the bandwidth and every update is just a breeze.
Therefore I have made two new PKGBUILDs, nvidia-total [1] and
nvidia-total-beta [2] which group the packages mentioned above for the
regular and beta drivers, and are the NVIDIA counterparts to the
catalyst-total package. I'm asking the TUs to reconsider their usefulness
before I upload the to the AUR, only to see them deleted.

Thx in advance for your answers.

Regards,

[1] http://pastebin.com/sKa4pDfp
[2] http://pastebin.com/V5FSLmUi

--
Alucryd

"In the name of God, impure souls of the living dead shall be banished into
eternal damnation. Amen."