[aur-general] Merge syslinux-bios-elflink-git and syslinux-efi-git into syslinux-firmware-git

Keshav Padram the.ridikulus.rat at gmail.com
Sat Jun 29 05:18:16 EDT 2013

On 28 June 2013 21:10, Maxime GAUDUIN <alucryd at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 28, 2013 at 5:09 PM, Keshav Padram
> <the.ridikulus.rat at gmail.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >     Please merge syslinux-bios-elflink-git [1] and syslinux-efi-git [2]
> > into syslinux-firmware-git [3]. Thanks in advance.
> >
> > [1]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/syslinux-bios-elflink-git/
> > [2]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/syslinux-efi-git/
> > [3]: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/syslinux-firmware-git/
> >
> > Best Regards.
> >
> > Keshav Padram
> >

> Merged.

Thanks

> What is the difference between the  firmware and master branches?
> Unless differences are huge, seems to me that the syslinux-git package with
> an optional branch tag (using the new source array for vcs packages) would
> suffice.

The differences are huge. The master branch contains code for syslinux 4.XX
(which is in maintenance mode). The elflink branch contains code for
syslinux 5.XX which changed the internal structure of syslinux to use ELF
modules in preparation for EFI support in 6.XX . The firmware branch
contains syslinux 6.XX code which introduces EFI support and contains is
written on top of elflink branch. The new syslinux-firmware-git pkg now
contains both bios and efi modules built from firmware branch (as the name
implies), even for bios modules as the code form elfink branch is anyway
part of firmware branch.