[aur-general] How to see the interest in a package (other than votes)?

Elena ``of Valhalla'' elena.valhalla at gmail.com
Fri Mar 1 03:47:28 EST 2013

On 2013-02-28 at 21:09:30 +0100, oliver wrote:
> is it possible to see the number of downloads of packages from AUR,
> so that it can be detected, how much interest in a package exists?

I suspect that the use case of "download from AUR, try to build
and install, (possibly even fail, or just decide that another
alternative fits better), delete the package, forget about it"
is not so rare, expecially with old orphaned packages.

The system used in Debian to estimate the popularity of packages,
popcon_, gives the number of installed packages, but also what IMHO
is an even more important stats: the number of recently used
installation.

This requires voluntary submissions, the installation of an ad-hoc
program and working atime on /usr, so it is not perfect and probably
not something that arch can adopt, but IMHO worth considering as a
comparison.

.. _popcon: http://popcon.debian.org/

--
Elena ``of Valhalla''