[aur-general] Fighting spam on the AUR

Markus Unterwaditzer markus at unterwaditzer.net
Wed Mar 13 06:55:26 EDT 2013

Lukas Fleischer <archlinux at cryptocrack.de> wrote:

>Status quo:
>
>    06:54 < gtmanfred> ok, it really is time for something else
>    06:54 < gtmanfred> the spammer is now creating a new account for
>    every comment and flag out of date
>
>The account suspension feature does not help here.

>* Allow package maintainers to block the "Flag package out-of-date"
>  feature for a certain amount of time. Note that this might eventually
>  cripple the "out-of-date" function. Also, this does not work for
>  comments.
>
>* Use CAPTCHAs during account registration. We could either use
>MAPTCHAs
>  ("What is 1 + 1?") or something like reCAPTCHA [1].
>
>* Moderate new accounts. Might be a lot of work. We need some TUs that
>  review and unlock accounts. Also, it might be hard to distinguish a
>  spam bot from a regular user. If we require a short application text,
>  this might result in less users joining the AUR.
>
>* Block IP addresses. Bye-bye, Tor users!
>
>Comments and suggestions welcome! We need to find a proper solution as
>soon as possible!
>
>[1] http://www.google.com/recaptcha

Other options:

* Deny the repeating of a specific action... e.g. you may not flag more than ten packages within ten minutes. Also block comments with same content.

* ability to report users (dunno if already possible), autoban if enough reports

* "Buffering actions" aka shadowban when a user gets reported, until a moderator reviews the report.

* Do whatever Reddit does, they seem to deal very well with spam.

-- Markus (from phone)