[aur-general] Using git as a backend for the AUR

Rob Til Freedmen rob.til.freedman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 16 23:18:37 EDT 2013

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 2:38 AM, Tai-Lin Chu <tailinchu at gmail.com> wrote:
> mysteriously? there is no uncertainty when a maintainer decides to
> remove the package. I feel any package should be fully controlled by
> the maintainer. To make things less "mysterious", it is possible to
> create remove history in the database.

A few days ago we had a case of a package 'mysteriously went missing'
for not being compliant to the Arch PKGBUILD standards - deleted by a TU.

I think this is wrong wrong wrong!

There are only a few reason to delete a package build:
If the source isn't available anymore, (eg. deleted or a move from svn to git)
or if it doesn't build due to lack of maintenance.

And I think it's a good idea to do it in public, eg. on the ML
and not by the (current) maintainer!