[aur-general] Strange filesystem conflict behavior

Kyle kyle at gmx.ca
Mon Mar 25 17:49:55 EDT 2013

Today I upgraded my espeak-test package in AUR from 1.46.53 to the
latest 1.47.03b. However, while testing my PKGBUILD, I received a file
conflict error when attempting to install the binary package using
pacman -U. It seems that /usr/share/espeak-data/voices/en, which is a
directory in previous versions of espeak-test as well as
community/espeak, has become a voice definition file in 1.47.03b.
Apparently, this causes a file conflict error to be raised by pacman
during the installation attempt. For now, I have added a comment to the
AUR page informing anyone using the package that they should remove the
entire /usr/share/espeak-data directory prior to installing the newest
espeak-test, since --force should never be used for this kind of thing,
and this removal is what I needed to do to get the new package
installed. The question is whether or not this was the correct action to
take, or if anyone has suggestions for truly fixing the problem. I am
also wondering at this point if I have found a bug in pacman that would
be causing this conflict error to be raised, in spite of the fact that I
have added the proper conflicts and provides fields hat should have kept
such an error from occurring. Thanks very much for any help.
~Kyle
http://kyle.tk/--
"Kyle? ... She calls her cake, Kyle?"