[aur-general] Backslash to split lines in `depends` array

Rashif Ray Rahman schiv at archlinux.org
Sun Nov 3 10:45:00 EST 2013

On 3 November 2013 20:29, Fabien Dubosson <fabien.dubosson at gmail.com> wrote:
> The problem doesn't seem to appear with `yaourt` [3] . So before filling a
> bug request to `aura`, I wanted to be sure that it is allowed/common to use
> `\` to split lines in the `depends` array?

For an even more simplistic understanding:

foo=(one \
        two)

is understood as:

foo=(one two)

as much as:

foo=(one
        two)

PKGBUILDs are simply Bash scripts, so it's not about what is allowed
in the 'depends' array, but what is valid Bash. The '\' is redundant
but valid. The wrapper you're using is simply not doing a perfect job
of parsing Bash, but it's not that big of a deal.

Also note that use of single quotes protects interpretable characters
(try versioned depends without quotes), while double quotes allow
variable expansion. Using either type of quoting throughout an array
is a stylistic choice.

At the end of the day, the lesson learnt here is to use supported
tools, or at least an unsupported one that has stood the test of time
(if you don't want to bother troubleshooting functional glitches).

--
GPG/PGP ID: C0711BF1