[aur-general] Long check() function in AUR packages

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Fri Nov 22 16:00:32 EST 2013

Hi,

I am a big proponent of using automation testing. Tests saved me many
times at my $dayjob projects. That is why I strongly believe that
every arch package should have check() function - it is better find a
problem at build time, rather than get a crash while running the
application.

But some projects have quite large test suites. v8,rethinkdb,tup-git
are examples - their tests take 10 minutes or even more. Some AUR
users complain that it is too long. Even worse - there can be flaky
tests that work fine for me but fail for some users.

What is the best practices in this situation? I see a few possible answers:
1) Tell users relax and enjoy running tests. Tests are for their own good.
2) Tell users to disable (!check) option in /etc/makepkg.conf
3) Maybe AUR install scripts (like yaourt) should not run tests at
installation time? Or at least make it configurable?

What do you think is the best option?