[aur-general] Deletion Request - rEFIt

Maxime Gauduin alucryd at gmail.com
Fri Oct 18 03:50:55 EDT 2013

On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 9:31 AM, Justin Dray <justin at dray.be> wrote:
> Slim had a decent sized update about 2 weeks ago, it started
> supporting the
> normal xsession methods rather than a specific list and a variety of
> other
> things, the version before that was less than a week old. It's
> stable, but
> certainly not dead.
>
> Regards,
> Justin Dray
> E: justin at dray.be
> M: 0433348284
>

> On Wed, Oct 16, 2013 at 11:31 AM, Sam Stuewe
> <halosghost at archlinux.info>wrote:
>
>>  On 2013-10-15 13:56, Keshav Padram Amburay wrote:
>>
>>>  Hi,
>>>       rEFIt is no longer maintained upstream and its author
>>> recommends
>>>  everyone to switch to rEFInd instead, at
>>> http://refit.sourceforge.net/ .
>>>  So
>>>  please delete AUR refit
>>> https://aur.archlinux.org/**packages/refit/<https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/refit/>package.
>>>
>>>  With Best Regards,
>>>
>>>  Keshav
>>>

>>  I am not a TU, so this is not an official set of logic, but if the
>> sources
>>  still exist (even if it has been deprecated or is no longer
>> maintained), I
>>  see no reason for the package to be removed unless there is a
>> specific and
>>  blatant security flaw. For example, SLiM is still in the official
>> repos
>>  despite maintenance largely being dead and many other packages being
>>  considered preferable.
>>
>>  If people would like to continue using rEFIt, despite rEFInd's
>>  superiority, I don't see the inherent issue.
>>
>>  All the best,
>>
>>  -Sam

Well, in this case rEFInd is a fork of rEFIt which provides the same
features and probably more, and is actively developped. I don't see why
people would prefer rEFIt over rEFInd, but that is just my opinion. I
would personally remove refit, but I guess it doesn't harm the AUR for
now.
What do other TUs think?

Cheers,
--