[aur-general] Revise VCS packages versioning

Doug Newgard scimmia22 at outlook.com
Thu Oct 31 00:53:16 EDT 2013

> Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2013 21:49:11 -0700
> From: anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
> To: aur-general at archlinux.org
> Subject: Re: [aur-general] Revise VCS packages versioning
>
> Hi
>
> On Wed, Oct 30, 2013 at 8:51 PM, Jerome Leclanche <adys.wh at gmail.com> wrote:
>> As someone who maintains a lot of git packages, I wish, I really wish
>> there was a *standardized* way of writing a pkgver that would output
>> the appropriate format whether there are tags pushed upstream or not.
>
> That is what I intended to propose next.
>
> As the regexp become more complicated it is better if makepkg will
> take care of generating the package version. I think makepkg should
> have a shell function, something like 'generate_pkgver_vcs()' that
> user can use in pkgver().
>
> e.g.
>
> pkgver() {
> cd repo
> generate_pkgver_vcs()
> }
>
> This function will
> 1) Find what VCS is used
> 2) Generate appropriate VCS version

Very, very bad idea. Every repo is different, the flexibility of the pkgver function lets the maintainer adapt to that. This was one of the major new features in pacman/makepkg 4.1. To be very blunt, if you can't figure out basic scripting enough to write a coherent pkgver function, you don't really have any business maintaining PKGBUILDs.

The last thing we want it to go back to how it was done in < 4.1.