[aur-general] Revise VCS packages versioning

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Thu Oct 31 14:26:27 EDT 2013

Hi

> The sha1 is useful to people who need to quickly tell developers which
> version they are running when they're from git. Removing it is a bad
> idea.

You can get the commit from the version number even without the SHA1,
something like:

git log --oneline $VERSION..$BRANCH | tail -n $REVISION | head -n 1

Where $BRANCH is the one used in PKGBUILD (usually it is HEAD).

Anyway VCS-package users suppose to follow HEAD version closely. In
those rare cases when a user sees problem in no-release non-HEAD
version and tries to contact upstream developers I bet the first
question from the developers will be "Could you please update to HEAD
and see if the problem still exists?".