[aur-general] Unmerge mpv-build-git

Maxime Gauduin alucryd at gmail.com
Mon Sep 9 17:04:25 EDT 2013

On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 10:24 PM, Rob Til Freedmen <
rob.til.freedman at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 7:48 PM, Maxime Gauduin <alucryd at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, Sep 9, 2013 at 6:37 PM, Rob Til Freedmen <
> rob.til.freedman at gmail.com
> > > wrote:
> >
> > > I'm glad mpv-build-git survived this somewhat obsessive elimination of
> > > 'extremely specialized'
> > > PKGBUILD's from the AUR.
> > >
> > > I wouldn't have any objection of merging mpv-player-git with
> mpv-build-git
> > > -
> > > they are both build via mpv-build.git  recommended by the developers.
> > >
> > > But mpv-git uses a completely different build.
> > >
> > > BTW, merging a seemingly 'unused' package without votes and completely
> > > unrelated
> > > comments doesn't make sense either.

> > > jesse.jaara at gmail.com

> checked

> > For the record, mpv devs 'recommend' using these scripts because, and I
> > quote, "distribution packages are often too old or too broken". Our
>
> [packages] ... are point releases, eg. fribidi 0.19.5, libass 0.10.1
>
> But mpv-build.git pulls in git repos from libass, fribidi and ffmpeg
> and links them as static libs to mpv for the very purpose git repos
> are in existence - to test development *before* changes are going
> to point releases.

Those same git repos from which the git packages are built...... I
sincerely hope you are doing this on purpose.

> > packages are neither old nor broken, those script are absolutely not
> needed
> > to build mpv on Arch, mpv in [community] and mpv-git in AUR are proofs of
>
> I would expect a little bit more knowledge from you...
> development on either those packages goes hand.in.hand...
> but not always smooth ;)

Your point? No, don't bother.

> > that. Even then, using git versions of ffmpeg, fribidi and libass and
> build
> > mpv-git would have the exact same effect as building mpv-build-git.
>
> That's simply not true - it depends heavily on the changes made on the
> resp. repo.

As does pulling the source code and linking statically, because again, same
git repos, but whatever.

>  >
> > --
> > Maxime

I really feel like I'm wasting my time trying to reason with you. Your void
arguments won't make you right, your toy package is gone and not needed,
get over it. BTW, don't expect any more answers from me, I have got better

Maxime