[aur-general] Source packages in the AUR

Eric Bélanger snowmaniscool at gmail.com
Fri Sep 13 13:11:42 EDT 2013

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 3:49 AM, Alexander Rødseth <rodseth at gmail.com>wrote:

> We have no policies against useless packages. I have faith that the
> AUR web system + devs/TUs will be able to keep AUR useful, also in the
> future, despite of this, though. :)
>
> - Alexander / xyproto

That is incorrect.  There are policies:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/AUR_User_Guidelines#Submitting_packages

- Make sure the package is useful. Will anyone else want to use this
package? Is it extremely specialized? If more than a few people would find
this package useful, it is appropriate for submission.

- The AUR and official repositories are intended for packages which install
generally software and software-related content, including one or more of
the following: executable(s); config file(s); online or offline
documentation for specific software or the Arch Linux distribution as a
whole; media intended to be used directly by software.