[aur-general] btrfs-progs packages

WorMzy Tykashi wormzy.tykashi at gmail.com
Mon Sep 16 11:35:58 EDT 2013

Hi, I've submitted two new btrfs packages to the AUR:
btrfs-progs-unstable-integration [0] and
btrfs-progs-unstable-integration-git [1], and I'd like opinions on the
state of things:

a) should btrfs-progs-git [2] should be merged with
btrfs-progs-unstable-integration-git, given that the latter is more true to
it's name as a -git package, and the former is more of a lagging stable
version of the "non-git" integration branch

or

b) should the non-git, btrfs-progs-unstable-integration package be dropped
in favour of the more stable btrfs-progs-git package

or

c) should all three packages remain

or

d) should the unstables be merged into one PKGBUILD with the option to let
the user choose between "stable" and "next" by setting a variable in it?

or

e) something else?

Personally, I'm happy maintaining all three packages, but I'm aware that I
have just tripled the number of btrfs-progs packages in the AUR, which may
cause some confusion with some users, and may be considered littering the
AUR.

Some further information which may be useful:

btrfs-progs-git = stable, but stale (no commits since July 5th)
btrfs-progs-unstable-integration = unstable, but known to build, snapshot
of the integration-next (git) branch
btrfs-progs-unstable-integration-git = most unstable, actively committed
to, may not always build

Thanks.

[0] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/btrfs-progs-unstable-integration/
[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/btrfs-progs-unstable-integration-git/