[aur-general] Is it OK to package oneliners?

Jason St. John jstjohn at purdue.edu
Mon Sep 16 17:41:23 EDT 2013

On Sun, Sep 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM, Xyne <xyne at archlinux.ca> wrote:
>>> Deleted with the following message:

>>> Seeing that was definitely a skypalming wtf moment.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Xyne
>>>

>>Please remove some other oneliners by that user:
>>* https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/owns-git/
>>* https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/wordcount-git/notify/
>>* https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/asciicam-git/
>>* https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/current-network-git/
>>
>>He has a few other packages that are "fewliners" e.g.
>>* https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/dzen-clock-git/
>>* https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/changed-files-git/
>>* https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/export-chrome-bookmarks-git/
>>* https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/random-git/
>>* https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/noise-git/
>>* https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/webcam-picture-git/
>>* https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/retry-git/
>>
>>IMHO at least some of them should be removed too.
>

> I have removed those packages and am CC'ing the former maintainer.
>
> @Vanceza
> One-liners and trivial few-liners do not deserve their own packages. I think
> the best place for these would be a bashrc file, i.e. instead of hosting a
> separate git project for each trivial script, host a single project with all of
> them included as aliases (one-liners) or bash functions (few-liners) in a
> single file. Interested users could then clone the repo in their user
> directory, and source the file from their bashrc file (e.g.
> "source /path/to/git/repo/bashrc").
>
> Updating would be as simple as cd'ing in the repo and running "git fetch...".
> It's actually even easier than updating packages from the AUR.
>
> I do not doubt that your intention is good and I hope that my actions and
> remarks will not discourage you from further contributions.
>
> Regards,
> Xyne

This convinced me to convert a simple one-liner Bash script I wrote
into a Bash function+alias. I previously put the one-liner on GitHub
and submitted a PKGBUILD for it. I have just deleted the GitHub repo,
so please delete this package:
https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/colorpwd-git/

Thanks,
Jason