[aur-general] LTS kernel moved to 3.10.x - module rebuilds

Brian F. G. Bidulock bidulock at openss7.org
Mon Sep 16 21:59:27 EDT 2013

Don,

On Mon, 16 Sep 2013, Don deJuan wrote:

> It was picked for long term support. I think that is why it was the one
> chosen.
> http://www.kroah.com/log/blog/2013/08/04/longterm-kernel-3-dot-10/

If you look at https://www.kernel.org/category/releases.html
you will see that 3.2.x is LTS with EOL 2016, whereas 3.10.x
is EOL Sept, 2015.  (Obviously 3.0.x is EOL Oct 2013, next
month, so some change is necessary.)

When we moved from 2.6.32 lts to 3.0 lts, it was because gcc header
files needed a minimum kernel above 2.6.34.  I was wondering whether
there was a similar technical reason for the 3.10.x choice over
3.2.x, or whether I can just as easily run a 3.2.x kernel on an
otherwise Plain Jane and current Arch Linux build?

--brian