[aur-general] btrfs-progs packages

WorMzy Tykashi wormzy.tykashi at gmail.com
Tue Sep 24 15:54:41 EDT 2013

On 17 September 2013 16:06, WorMzy Tykashi <wormzy.tykashi at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 17 September 2013 15:39, Sébastien Luttringer <seblu at seblu.net> wrote:
>
>> On Tue, Sep 17, 2013 at 1:23 PM, WorMzy Tykashi
>> <wormzy.tykashi at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > As it stands, the new testing/btrfs-progs is building the same tools as
>> the
>> > btrfs-progs-git PKGBUILD (albeit with !staticlibs), extra/btrfs-progs is
>> > still quite behind.
>> >
>> > Once the testing package hits extra, btrfs-progs-git will be redundant
>> (at
>> > least until Chris pulls in more commits). I guess the worth of
>> > btrfs-progs-git depends on how often Tom is planning on updating the
>> commit
>> > ref in the official PKGBUILD and/or how often Chris pulls in changes to
>> his
>> > tree.
>> In general, official and official-git packages have different purposes.
>>
>> btrfs-progs in official repos (testing/extra) should provides a
>> released version.
>> The btrfs-progs-git package is a _source_ package used to build a
>> package with the _last_ git version (at the build time).
>> At each release, the git package should ship the same content that the
>> released one.
>>
>> Cheers,
>>
>> --
>> Sébastien "Seblu" Luttringer
>> https://www.seblu.net
>> GPG: 0x2072D77A
>>

> Oops, I always forget that gmail defaults to top posting. Apologies for
> that. Also, I meant core/, not extra/.
>

> > In general, official and official-git packages have different purposes.
>
> This is true, but until btrfs-progs starts releasing tagged versions
> again, it seems that btrfs-progs{,-git} will be providing the same thing
> (again, depending on how often the Mason tree gets updated and Tom updates
> the PKGBUILD).
>
> I'd like to reiterate that I'm in favour of having all three packages in
> the AUR, as I feel they all have value. btrfs-progs-git's usefulness will
> (hopefully) be restored/increased once btrfs-progs hits v0.20 proper.
>

> WorMzy

Okay, it looks like development on the -next branch has dried up and the
latest dated snapshot is 16 commits ahead of it. Can someone remove
btrfs-progs-unstable-git [1] please, it no longer makes sense. Sorry for
the trouble.

Cheers,

WorMzy

[1] https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/btrfs-progs-unstable-integration-git/