[aur-general] Packaging a Ruby application (veewee) with embedded gems (no dependency on Arch ruby-* packages)

Anatol Pomozov anatol.pomozov at gmail.com
Thu Apr 10 16:33:28 EDT 2014

Hi

On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 11:42 AM, Bertrand Bonnefoy-Claudet
<bertrandbc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> veewee [1] is a great tool for building vagrant boxes. Unfortunately, it
> depends on many other gems. I've already built a package ruby-veewee [2]
> using Arch packages as dependencies and there is a git version,
> veewee-git [3], but I find them unsatisfactory because of how difficult
> they are to package with the right version for each gem.

Managing the ruby dependencies manually is difficult indeed. Use tools
(e.g. gem2arch) to generate and update packages.

 $ gem2arch veewee
and it will generate the PKGBUILD.

> vagrant has recently been accepted in community and has a PKGBUILD that
> I find peculiar. It seems like it uses some embedded directory to store
> gems it depends on. Sorry, I'm not very familiar with Ruby and gems.
>
> What I would like to achieve is similar. How can I package veewee-git so
> that required gems are built to and loaded from /opt/veewee/gems ? I
> have tried several combinations with "gem install" and bundler but
> without success.

Using bundle like this is wrong IMHO. It goes against idea of package
management and library reuse. An application should not bundle its
dependencies - it should use system libraries as much as possible.