[aur-general] GHC 7.8.1 packaging decisions for Arch Linux

Hugo Osvaldo Barrera hugo at barrera.io
Mon Apr 21 07:36:12 EDT 2014

On 2014-04-08 22:27, Thomas Dziedzic wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> With the arrival of ghc 7.8.1 [0], I would like to address the following
> problems with a restructuring of how we treat haskell packages in archlinux:
>
> Problem 1: Updating any haskell package has been delayed until we bump ghc.
> Explanation: ghc is unable to produce a library that has a stable abi. In
> other words, if a library gets rebuilt (even if it's the same exact
> source), we will need to rebuild all package that depend on it, and this
> would in turn a messy rebuild for any kind of rebuild.

Changing depends on packages to exact versions will make these
incompatibilities rise quickly.
Eg: package A should depend on packageB=x.y.z-n

That would avoid mixing up different versions. This would avoid a library
being updated in a system until all packages that depend on it have
been rebuilt.

--
Hugo Osvaldo Barrera